- The Environmental Evaluation and Enforcement Agency (OEFA) is an agency responsible for environmental inspections and enforcement in Peru. OEFA’s mandate is based on achieving compliance and protection of the environment while seeking the development of social welfare. Nowadays, the agency is developing processes and tools to fully implement an enforcement policy based on data and evidence.
- Applicable legislation and internal OEFA regulations and guidelines allow for risk focus and proportionality. Furthermore, OEFA’s mission include goals of reducing risk and pursuing public interest.
- The governance structures and strategic decision-making processes of OEFA support transparency and accountability. OEFA however could benefit from including representatives of different stakeholder in the governance of the agency, particularly when it comes to discussing strategic priorities and transformations.
- OEFA’s priorities in terms of protecting public welfare are largely concentrated in areas with socio-environmental conflicts.
- OEFA has made significant progress in the development, introduction and use of ICT tools. OEFA would benefit though from fully digitising data and information to improve risk analysis, planning and automation.
For further information please contact Manuel Gerardo Flores, Regulatory Policy Division, OECD