- Brazil has taken steps to improve the performance of the mining sector in the country. The creation of the National Mining Agency and the revision of the regulatory framework are two of the main changes to the mining institutional and normative framework in the last 60 years.
- Brazil would benefit from granting ANM more independence by allocating the right human and financial resources to the agency.
- Regulatory enforcement and inspections activities could be revamped to incorporate the use of evidence, ICTs, and risk-based approaches.
- Brazil would benefit from fostering the systematic collaboration and co-ordination between the federal and sub-national administrations (states and municipalities) to ensure regulatory coherence, reduce overlaps and regulatory gaps, and to use resources more efficiently.
- ANM could lead the development and implementation of a detailed policy on administrative simplification and burden reduction for all government formalities in the mining sector, with an emphasis on licensing
For further information, please contact Manuel Flores, OECD Regulatory Policy Division.