The OECD supports regulators in their efforts to improve regulatory performance and quality by carrying out in-depth peer reviews of regulators as well as producing indicators on the governance of sector regulators. This work builds on the recognition that governance matters for performance.
What do PAFER reviews cover?
The reviews are carried out within the OECD Network of Economic Regulators (NER), using a methodology built on lessons learnt from 70+ regulators that participate in the NER and the Best Practice Principles on the Governance of Regulators.
- Role and strategic objectives: to identify the existence of a set of clearly identified objectives, targets, or goals that are aligned with the regulator’s functions and powers, which can inform the development of actionable performance indicators;
Performance assessment reviews
- Driving Performance at Portugal’s Energy Services Regulatory Authority - English - Portuguese - 5 May 2021
- Ireland’s Environmental Protection Agency (2020) - English
- Peru’s Transport Infrastructure Regulator (2020) - English - Spanish
- Peru's Energy and Mining Regulator (2019) - English - Spanish
- Peru’s Telecommunications Regulator (2019) - English / Spanish
- Ireland's Commission for Regulation of Utilities (2018) - English
- Mexico's Agency for Safety, Energy and Environment (2017) - English / Spanish
- Mexico's National Hydrocarbons Commission (2017) - English / Spanish
- Mexico's Energy Regulatory Commission (2017) - English / Spanish
- Mexico's Energy Regulators (2017) English / Spanish
- Latvia’s Public Utilities Commission (2016) - English
- Colombia’s Communications Regulator (2015) - English
- Input: to determine the extent to which the regulator’s funding and staffing are aligned with its objectives, targets or goals, and the regulator’s ability to manage financial and human resources autonomously and effectively;
- Process: to assess the extent to which processes and the organisational management support the regulator’s performance;
- Output and outcome: to identify the existence of a systematic assessment of the performance of the regulated entities, the impact of the regulator’s decisions and activities, and the extent to which these measurements are used appropriately.
For further information on PAFER reviews, please contact Anna Pietikainen.
Read more about:
» Regulatory policy and governance