Monitoring the Policy Framework for Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) in Ukraine
With Ukraine being one of the most energy intensive economies in the Eastern Region and suffering from high levels of energy inefficiency in non-productive fields, establishing a robust and competitive energy service companies (ESCOs) sector could stimulate private sector activities that in the long term may greatly benefit both the economy and the environment.
In 2018, the OECD undertook the Monitoring Review of Ukraine’s ESCO policy framework to assess the progress made by Ukraine in the implementation of the the 2015 OECD recommendations for developing a sustainable energy savings market with ESCOs in Ukraine.
The OECD also identified bottlenecks in the implementation and organised capacity-building exercises and technical missions to Kyiv to discuss the findings and share good practices in ESCO market development to overcome key challenges. Peer reviewers from Norway, Spain and Sweden contributed to the work.
The work was carried out by the OECD Eurasia Competitiveness Programme with the financial support of the Government of the Slovak Republic and the Government of Flanders. The report was peer reviewed during the annual OECD Eurasia Week 2018 in the presence of a Delegation of Ukraine led by Vice Minister of Regional Development, with representatives of the State Agency for Energy Efficiency and Energy Savings and the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade.
Areas of actions for developing a sustainable energy savings market with ESCOS
- Seminar to launch the Monitoring Report: Enhancing Competitiveness in Ukraine through a Sustainable Framework for Energy Service Companies (Kyiv, 13 December 2018)
- OECD Eurasia Week – peer review of Ukraine’s monitoring report (Paris, 19-21 November 2018)
- Final OECD mission to discuss assessment and recommendations with key Ukrainian stakeholders (Kyiv, 27-28 September 2018)
- Second stakeholders’ seminar to discuss the draft Monitoring the Framework for the Development of Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) in Ukraine (Kyiv, 3 July 2018)
- First stakeholders’ seminar to discuss the Monitoring the Framework for the Development of Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) in Ukraine (Kyiv, 6 April 2018)
- OECD Mission to Kyiv to kick off the project and meet key stakeholders (14-16 March 2018)
- Launch of the Monitoring Review with Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Regional Development, Building and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine, Hennadii Zubko (Paris, 8 December 2017)
- Enhancing Competitiveness in Ukraine through a Sustainable Framework for Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) (2019) English | Ukrainian
- Enhancing Competitiveness in Ukraine through a Sustainable Framework for Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) (2015) English| Ukrainian
For more information about the work on Ukraine, please contact:
Follow us on: @OECDeurasia