In the Declaration on a Resilient and Healthy Environment for All, adopted at the Environment Ministerial meeting on 30-31 March 2022, Ministers committed to: “Strive to announce at the 2022 OECD Council at the Ministerial Level (MCM) national-level visions, actions, or plans, that could include:
- strengthening domestic policies and fostering international cooperation, working towards the prevention, reduction and elimination of all plastic pollution in the environment;
- encouraging the sustainable design of plastic products that are reusable, repairable, recyclable or, where viable alternatives do not exist, recoverable and, where feasible, do not contain substances that are harmful to human health and the environment;
- promoting sustainable production and consumption, and circularity of plastics, stimulating research, technological and social innovation in materials science, finance, business models and behavioural change among citizens;
- enhancing financing and circularity including, as appropriate, by strengthening extended producer responsibility;
- enhancing plastic waste prevention, environmentally sound waste management and clean-up activities.”
This note brings together 30 submissions of commitments to combat plastic pollution, along with short videos of selected Ministers. The videos are in their original language with English sub-titles.